Shortcut To Great Content
- 1 What Is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency For Dogs?
- 2 How Is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Inherited For German Shepherd?
- 3 What Dog Breeds Are Affected By Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?
- 4 What Does Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Mean To Your Dog & You?
- 5 How Is A Dog’s Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Diagnosed?
- 6 How Is A Dog’s Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Treated?
- 7 Can You Breed German Shepherds With Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?
What Is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency For Dogs?
The pancreas has 2 functional parts. The endocrine part secretes insulin and glucagon, which are essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates. The exocrine part consists of units called acini that produce and secrete enzymes essential for the digestion of protein, into the small intestine.
With exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), there is gradual wasting away (atrophy) of the acini. Clinical signs do not develop until most of the acini are gone. As dogs lose the ability to digest protein, they progressively lose weight despite a voracious appetite.
How Is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Inherited For German Shepherd?
This is thought to be an autosomal recessive trait in the German shepherd.
What Dog Breeds Are Affected By Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?
There is a genetic predisposition to this disorder in the German shepherd. It also occurs sporadically in dogs of other breeds.
For many breeds and many disorders, the studies to determine the mode of inheritance or the frequency in the breed have not been carried out, or are inconclusive. We have listed breeds for which there is a consensus among those investigating in this field and among veterinary practitioners, that the condition is significant in this breed.
What Does Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Mean To Your Dog & You?
Affected dogs lose weight despite voracious appetites, and usually pass large amounts of semi-formed feces. They often eat their own stools, or other inappropriate substances.
Some dogs with this condition do not show these typical signs, and may experience intermittent watery diarrhea or vomiting.
How Is A Dog’s Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Diagnosed?
The clinical signs of weight loss and increased appetite may occur with malabsorption of nutrients due to a variety of causes. Routine diagnostic tests will eliminate some of these as possibilities. Once EPI is suspected, there are specific laboratory tests that will diagnose this disorder.
For the veterinarian: Assay of serum trypsin-like immunoreactivity (TLI), bentiromide absorption test, and quantitative assay of fecal proteolytic activity (azocasein substrate) are sensitive tests for EPI in the dog. TLI is also a specific test, and requires only 1 sample for diagnosis. (Check with your diagnostic laboratory).
How Is A Dog’s Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Treated?
Although this disorder can not be cured, management is generally fairly straightforward. Powdered pancreatic enzyme extract is mixed in with each meal. Within a few days, your dog’s appetite and stools should become more normal, and s/he will begin to gain weight. Your veterinarian will work with you to determine the best regime (what dose of extract, 1 or 2 feedings per day) to keep your dog free of clinical signs. Enzyme supplementation of your dog’s food will be necessary for life.
Some dogs fail to gain weight despite treatment, and this may be due to chronic bacterial overgrowth. A course of antibiotic therapy may be useful in these dogs.
Can You Breed German Shepherds With Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?
Affected dogs, and in German shepherds, their parents (considered carriers) and siblings (suspect carriers) should not be used for breeding.
People Are Also Reading About.....
👀 What's Trending Now?
- Want To See Your Pet Even When You Are Outside? ‘Dropcam Pro’ Unboxing And Review 2021
- White Swiss Shepherd Dog – All You Need To Know: Origin, Background, Characteristics (2021)
- First Time Aquarium Owners Must-learn 2021: How To Keep Fishes And Dogs In The Same House
👀 Having A Lovely Cat At Home
- Checking Myths And Health Tips: What You Should Know As A Cat Owner Both For Yourself And Your Pet 2021
- How To Keep Your Home Safe For A Cat Who Loves Freedom? (2021)
- Are You Confused How And What To Feed Your Cat? Tips You Should Read For Healthy And Happy Meals 2021
👀 Learn More About Your Dogs
- Where Should I Search For All Types Of Pet-Related Information? All Useful Resources For Dog Owners 2021
- Feed Your Dog By Your Smartphone When You Are Outside: Petnet SmartFeeder Review 2021
- Can My Dog Eat These? 25 Toxic Human Foods You Must Know For Safety Of Your Pet 2021
👀 Keeping Fishes At Home
- Keeping An Eye On Your Pet 24/7? Arlo Smart Home Security Camera Review 2021
- Breeding Special Pets At home 2021: Axolotl – Characteristics, Facts & Care Information
- Feeding Turtles At Home 2021: What Accessories Are Needed For Aquatic Turtles?
👀 Facts About Having Special Pets