A great number of dogs enjoy digging holes in the garden. Digging out bulbs buried in the earth and eating them is a possibility. The following is a list of some of the more frequent substances that are poisonous to canines and other domesticated animals. If you suspect that your dog has consumed any number of flower bulbs or plant roots, you should contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. Take a sample of the bulb or root in concern, as well as some of the plant’s foliage or blooms, and present them to your veterinarian. If at all possible.
- Colchicum autumnale
- Toxin = colchicine and other alkaloids
- Crocus bulbs in particular are highly toxic
- Cyclamen sp.
- Toxin = Terpenoid saponins
- Also known as Sowbread
- Narcissus sp.
- Toxin = Lycorine and other alkaloids
- The bulbs are most poisonous, but also the leaves and flowers if ingested.
- Hyacinth orientalis
- Toxin = Narcissus like alkaloids
- All parts of this plant are poisonous
- Iris sp.
- Toxin = Pentacylic terpenoids (zeorin, missourin, and missouriensin)
- Also known as Flag, Snake Lily, Water Flag
- Gladiolus spp.
- Toxin = Unknown
- Tulipa sp.
- Toxin = Tulipalin A and B
Tree and plant roots are another potential hazard for dogs who like to dig. While most dogs don’t seem too interested in tree roots, others may attempt to pull out roots they come across in a sort of ‘tug of war’ game. Some roots are very poisonous, and even small amounts of root material or sap ingested can cause health problems.
- Laburnum sp.
- Toxin = Cytisine
- All parts of this plant are poisonous.
- Rhododendron sp.
- Toxin = Grayantoxin
- Also known as Rosebay, or Azalea
- Taxus spp.
- Highly Toxic. The most poisonous tree native to the UK.
- Toxin = Taxine
- Includes other Yew species such as Japanese Yew, Western Yew etc.
Tree Branches and Sticks
Dogs like to play with sticks and branches. Unfortunately, the wood and bark of some trees and shrubs are highly toxic. Listed below are some of the more common trees and shrubs with wood poisonous to dogs.
You should be aware of any specimens of these plants growing in your garden. NEVER play with, or encourage your dog to ‘fetch’, sticks or branches that you suspect may originate from these plants. If dogs chew on branches of these species, they may become very ill, and you should seek veterinary advice immediately.
- Buxus sempervirens
- Prunus lauroceraesus
- One of the most deadly trees or shrubs.
Learn more with Room For Pets.